Follow-up on AquaTuning

It has been a while since I’ve written about the situation I’ve had with AquaTuning and the concern with regard to the CPU block catastrophe. I’m not going to recap what happened. You can instead read all about it in Part V of the original build log.

Where I last left off, I had yet to hear back from AquaTuning’s insurance company regarding the liability claim. Well that changed on August 19, when they told me they were still waiting on additional information from AquaTuning. I replied back saying that I was under the impression AquaTuning had already turned over everything, while also volunteering to try to answer any remaining questions, depending on what they were.

The one thing about this situation that was mildly frustrating is that AquaTuning didn’t tell me in advance they were handing it all over to the liability company. It was only when I heard from the insurance company saying they were rejecting my claim for liability that I learned they even existed. And the fact they made that erroneous conclusion that had no support whatsoever from the pictures I’d sent only made things even more frustrating.

Trying to contact that company via e-mail was, for the most part, fruitless as well.

Until finally hearing from them on August 19, I was sending them an e-mail about every other week requesting follow-up. In the interim I also contacted AquaTuning, and that’s where I learned on August 14, to quote the person with whom I was in contact, that the "ball was firmly in the insurance agents court." About all I could do was be patient. But patience can only take you so far. I was also preparing to send a letter to them through the mail, but on October 9, that was no longer necessary.

The e-mail I received was from a different person within the company to request a loss inventory. For those who’ve never had to deal with property insurance companies, a loss inventory is basically as it sounds: an inventory of the items that were lost during an event and the replacement cost or nominal value of those items. In my case, I provided invoices showing what I paid for the mainboard, graphics card and water block, along with adding in the cost to ship the water block out to Germany.

I received a reply the next morning requesting my bank information. Now obviously it’s never wise to send this kind of information across e-mail, so I replied asking if they could provide the reimbursement via a financial instrument such as a bank draft. Their reply was that they could not. So I provided the necessary bank information via a secure contact form on the company’s website. The deposit showed in my bank account the next week.

So all-in-all it took about 5 months, about to the day actually, from the initial component leak to the reimbursement. But at least the matter is now completely settled.